Wednesday 2 November 2011

Fall Blues/Dragons' Den


Haven’t blogged for weeks!! There been much going on recently So came very very close to getting a gig at one the best companies in the world, but then I just got an email saying that they were no longer in a position to fill that spot because of some very recent changes. Maybe its bad luck, maybe its destiny, I am just hoping its not karma. Disappointed by that news, I felt very much to be left alone, and I just called it a early night. That was literally the most exciting thing to happen on my Halloween. Regardless, I am still optimistic about the future, and always try to the think the best of things that happen around me.

Writing this blog from Kamloops right now, here to drive my sister to an interview at a ‘hotel’ called 540…I don’t understand why I am here or why there needs to be an interview in Kamloops. The industry is far more dominant in Kelowna and really nothing about this town that makes me wanna be here…but I am not her, I think she is probably scared that she doesn’t have a job, having a risk adverse personality, some people take the job they get offered rather than a job that’s really right for them. Maybe that’s the right way, I really don’t know, but that’s not what my intuition tells me to do.

So in other news, watching a ton of Dragons’ Den. I always loved the show, but now that I actually started watching it in some capacity and started to analyze it..it makes no sense to me. Its hard to be a judge of the process on the show, because to the best of my knowledge the process compromised for the entertainment value. Being on a national broadcast, and having ‘more accomplished’ just scrutinize yourself only appeals to three types of people. I made a demographic out of them!

Type1: Inventers
 An ambitious inventor, who is not an entrepreneur, does not understand anything about business. These are the people who are more or less on the show can support some claims with sales, typically get the cash. These people are fully aware of the situation and are realistic about expectations Examples include the spike shoe, and the shoelaces. I think the show was probably designed best for these people, and it’s a great avenue for them to develop an idea, as they need the investors resources that are far beyond the cash. The inventor who doesn’t understand evaluation, and inventors seldom do is worth nothing or everything.

Type2: The Moron
 The idiot whose ideas suck so much and they continue to believe in it cause of their own social groups. I think these people at some level know their idea is shit, but they are desperate, so if your desperate, no one local is willing to invest in your idea, you will be attracted to a show like Dragons’ Den…so they take a gamble…pride for potential cash. Plus, they are super entertaining so I am sure the show loves em too. The most extreme example of this is the retard that tries to sell magic water. The less extreme version are all the stupid female specific ideas that exist cause of dirty dirty men....fixin vixen, and that Mrs. Lube..what the fuck was she thinking.

Type3: The I duunos
These people don’t have a clue what they are doing. Hitting up highly saturated markets and claiming that 1% of blah blah blah. Even if they have a decent product/idea…they are not the right people to invest in. They typically don’t have a clue of what’s the cost to market. What’s the competition, what’s the value of the patent…NO clue what is going on. They just throw a number out there and hope other people think they are worth something. Seldom successful, they just don’t understand evaluation. You are NOT worth what you think you will be in 5 years. No one wants to give them money now so in 5 years they’ll be worth the investment they put in today. The whole point of going to an angel for money so that an angel can bet on you and what you worth in five years. The reason that these people don’t work is cause they are gamblers, and the dragons are risk takers. The difference between a gamble and a risk is that a risk is calculated.


Anyway! Favorite Dragon: Brett Wilson. Not just cause we graduated from the same school. But the man thinks with the ethics system that I do. He may have a background in finance, but the man’s a marketer by heart! I loved him from his very first episode, where he opens with, “all this money is for charity anyway, I have enough, your children are going to have enough.” Watching him on the show for me makes him a great role model. The sad news is that in School events, I’d see him all the time, wearing jeans, where everyone else was wearing tuxes. Before the show he was intimidating, soo intimidating to approach as I never did talk to him. After the show, I feel like I can just run up to the guy and share a life story…maybe not quite. But saying Hi to Brett just kind of feels like a missed opportunity, not cause I think it could have led to potential cash or employment! but because I would’ve just been able to take so much away from him in his personality.  Things happen, maybe we’ll meet some other day working for charities we both love

No comments:

Post a Comment